Sun Hills Golf Course, Layton Utah, July 2nd 2016

Tee Time: 2 PM
Holes: Front 9, Blue tees 

TJ: I have a very limited opinion on Sun Hills. I've been to this course a total of 3 times now in all my years of golf. This course provides a couple of challenges, such as: tall grass, uneven lies, and elevation change.
Overall the course was in average shape. I'm not sure if they are trying to not water the deep rough as much, but everything that isn't first cut or fairway seems to be yellow and dying. I was lucky enough to not find myself in the dead grass once in my round. The greens were fast, but with it being the hottest part of the day, it was to be expected. Here is a view of the 9th, from the fairway

9th

The beer i got to try for this round was The Kreation, a kristallweizen wheat ale, straight from Talisman Brewing Company in Ogden Utah. I was very happy with my choice. It wasn't the coldest when I actually got to open it, but it was still a very refreshing beer. The aroma was very sweet and bread like, almost like banana bread, and the finish was smooth. I would definitely drink this beer again. 
The Kreation

The course gets a Bogey

The beer gets a Birdie

Jordan: Sun Hills has potential. If they got more water it could be a fantastic course. TJ mentioned the challenges that this course provides so I won't repeat that, but in addition to the rough they have what looks like maiden grass, but it is not watered so it's all completely yellow, and if you get your ball in it, which I did once, you will be picking pieces of the grass out of your socks well after the round is over. Overall the course is okay. There is definitely some room for improvement. I get not watering the maiden grass to punish people for going into it, but even the greens and fairways had some rough spots. As per usual, it seems hard for people to repair their pitch marks, which I won't knock the course for since people should be doing their part to help out. The greens were pretty quick, but with the lack of water and being 2 PM, that was completely expected. The image below is the fourth hole from the tees.


The beer I had was The Dagda, also straight from Talisman Brewing in Ogden. This beer is a lot like the course, there's potential. Where the course needs water, the beer needed to be cold. By the time I got to open it, it was too warm to enjoy and became extremely bitter, even for IPA. To be honest, I wasn't able to finish the beer and by the fourth hole, I was done with it. I really do want to give this beer another shot, but it needs to be much colder. I will provide a review with how I had it, but I want to revisit this and have an updated review with a cold beer. 

The course and beer both get a Double Bogey from me.



No comments

Powered by Blogger.