Ogden Golf and Country Club - Review by Jordan


A couple of weeks ago, I was lucky enough to be invited to play Ogden Golf and Country Club. Frequenting the Ogden area all through my life and constantly seeing the country club has always made me want to play it. My dad has played it a couple of times when the Prevent Child Abuse Utah tournament was held there and he only had good things to say. After waiting 16 years, I finally got to play it.




A country club always has that feeling of being special due to its exclusivity so while I try to not take that into account too much in my review, that is also part of the experience. But, it’s not that alone that is taken into the review.
We teed off after work at 5:30 PM, I had thought it was going to be a quick nine holes, but we ended up powering through all 18 and I am extremely happy we did. I was able to see everything the course had to offer, even though the last few holes, I didn’t see as much due to the light quickly diminishing. When you first walk up to tee off at this course you can see that it is well maintained and in great shape. Not that you wouldn’t expect that of a country club. It lives up to those expectations.
This course has the feel of a mountain course at times, with blind shots and steep hills, but it also doesn't’ feel strictly like a mountain course. It is a nice blend that I would say is like Mt. Ogden and Schneiter’s Riverside had a little golf course baby that was extremely industrious and became a multimillionaire.



It seems a little unfair to compare it to those two courses though, OGCC is the second oldest club in the state of Utah, the original 9 holes were designed and built in 1914. Ernie Schneiter Sr. (see why I said Riverside?) was the pro for 19 years and designed the current front 9 which were added in 1948.
With our history lesson coming to an end I will go back to my review... This course isn’t overly long, but it can be if they want it too. It is much better to accurate than long with the blind shots, doglegs, and water that comes into play, not to mention the holes that go along Washington Boulevard. The fairways were in great shape; the greens rolled true and were a little quick (which I like). However, the greens did have some of the same issues as all courses around here, there always are those people that don’t fix their marks, but it’s clear the greens crew does a better job of fixing these than most of the other courses I have played.

I wouldn’t say the condition of this course was any better than Bountiful Ridge though, I don’t know how much that is saying since both are in fantastic shape. I guess, I am saying if you don’t ever get a chance to play OGCC and want the same type of conditions, head on down to Bountiful.
The final hole of this course is a par 3 that has a massive ravine between the tees and the green. It’s not long so it’s not hard to get it to the green, but you have to get it there or your second shot could be tricky. I wish it would have been a little bit lighter when we played this hole because there was a stream with a waterfall that I could hear as I drove past, but couldn’t really see. I’m sure it's a beautiful hole. But the whole course was, so no surprise there.


If you do get a chance, definitely play this course (I’m sure you don’t need me to tell you that though.) It has that special feel that only a country club can provide, and it is a great, challenging, fun course. I definitely hope I get to go a few more times, now that I have got a taste for it.
Like I said, with this being the country club and having that air of prestige, it can influence the score, but, that is a part of the whole experience. There aren’t a ton of photos due to it getting dark, and me taking in the views for myself (sorry about that).

This course gets a Double Eagle, but it was pretty damn close to an Ace. 

No comments

Powered by Blogger.